grub-devel

Re: savannah

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: savannah
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:20:16 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 13:14, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> This can be easily implemented in GRUB 2 just like I implemented the
>> "loopback" support.  I did not know how software raid worked in GRUB
>> Legacy (I did not know it had software raid support) and I do not know
>> if this is the right way to implement it...
>
> GRUB Legacy does not have explicit support, but it works with RAID 1 if you
> install GRUB to /dev/md0, because the disks are just mirroring.

Someone told me that this is not a correct approach.  The correct one
is being able to fall back to the other mirror disk when the first
disk can not be read.  I don't know if this is important or not, I
don't know much about RAID.

>> > What comes up is also that most users just keep the default bootloader
>> > from their distro. And grub seems to be the default bootloader in a
>> > growing number of distributions.
>>
>> Right.  I think it is our task to make GRUB 2 the default. :)
>
> Yes, if your interest is to get many users. I'm not interested very much.

My interest is to make GRUB Legacy obsolete and get more contributors
and testers.

--
Marco