grub-devel

Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:42:29 -0500

On Apr 15, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Marco Gerards wrote:
When booting on the pegasosII I see the following problem:

grub> set
prefix=(/address@hidden/address@hidden,1/address@hidden,0,3)

That is when I am booting using `boot hd:4 grub)'.

The prefix contains an OF device name which will not work in GRUB,
mainly because of the comma's.

What, a disk name with a comma in it?! Gee, I wish somebody had realized this would be a problem.</sarcasm>

Would it be possible to lookup the OF
path in /aliases and set the prefix to the alias?  That will be
something that will work and is more user friendly I think.

I agree, using the alias is much more user-friendly, and that's the only reason I'm comfortable doing it. I will send the revised patch in a moment.

Interestingly, as Nico mentioned before, there are often multiple aliases to the same device. In my case, when I boot from "hd", prefix is set to "ultra0", because that comes first in the /aliases property list. Everything works, but it could be a source of user confusion.

Another thing we could do, but which is a bit more ugly, is creating
an alias.  I am not sure if it is possible to create an OF alias from
GRUB, but I assume it will be.

It is quite rude to unexpectedly clobber a user's devalias. With that in mind, what is the exact algorithm you're proposing?

Shouldn't the prefix end with a `/' like you mentioned in one of your
other emails.  So in this case:

prefix=(/address@hidden/address@hidden,1/address@hidden,0,3)/

The slash was removed when the path was truncated to the directory.

-Hollis