grub-devel

Re: Pentium II boot failure

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: Pentium II boot failure
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:06:52 -0600

On Jan 3, 2005, at 7:17 AM, Vincent Pelletier wrote:

Marco Gerards a écrit :
Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:
I pulled a Pentium II out of the closet for testing, but unfortunately
even stock CVS failed to boot to the GRUB prompt. I did a build, then
        ./grub-mkimage -d . -o image *.mod
        dd if=image of=/dev/fd0
        reboot
That should work, right? This system just hangs with nothing on the
screen except for the last BIOS messages, and the floppy light goes
off. The same thing happens when I use kernel.img without adding
modules.
This sounds like a problem Vincent has.  Anyway, it does not matter
that much.  At least it compiles, I can test if it also works.

Actually, the problem I had was that grub2 gives that error during stage 1 :
GRUB Read Error
and is because an asm instruction was removed in stage 1 which was a
workaround for buggy BIOSes like mine.

Does your computer works with grub legacy ? there are not much changes
between legacy's stage 1 and grub 2's one.

GRUB Legacy, i.e. ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-0.95-i386-pc.ext2fs , does boot. It could be a problem with my compiler I guess... it's a stock Debian compiler though.

-Hollis