grub-devel

Re: Pentium II boot failure

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: Pentium II boot failure
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:49:20 -0600

On Jan 2, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

I suggested the same thing. But I'd really rather have someone who
understands the PC side to make such changes. I don't have the
equipment or the interest to rework the PC code. This patch has almost
no impact on the PC side; sharing the code will be more invasive.

Ok. I can do that, no problem.  In that case, please don't move the
function out of kern/main.c but just write the PPC parts.  In that
case breaking the PC port is not a problem because I will immediately
start fixing.  I can apply the patches short after each other so there
will not be any problem.

I pulled a Pentium II out of the closet for testing, but unfortunately even stock CVS failed to boot to the GRUB prompt. I did a build, then
        ./grub-mkimage -d . -o image *.mod
        dd if=image of=/dev/fd0
        reboot
That should work, right? This system just hangs with nothing on the screen except for the last BIOS messages, and the floppy light goes off. The same thing happens when I use kernel.img without adding modules.

At least I could compile-test... I hope to send the updated patch out in a few minutes.

-Hollis