grub-devel

Re: multiboot

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: multiboot
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:27:29 +0100

Marco Gerards <address@hidden> writes:

>> This brings me to the next issue; have someone tried to boot GRUB2/PPC
>> with U-Boot?  It would be a fun experiment to try to run GRUB on a
>> development board like Ebony or Atlantis.
>
> U-Boot is another PPC firmware, right?  Something like OF, but not
> compatible?

It's a boot loader that is used to boot GNU/Linux on PPC (and other)
platforms.  More information can be found at http://ppcboot.sourceforge.net/

I don't think it has a firmware layer at all, so I suppose you must
implement things like IDE and console in GRUB itself.  Which of course
can be rather boring and error prune.

The real question I guess is whether or not things like drivers should
be included in GRUB2 at all, or should GRUB always depend on an
underlying layer to provide those facilities?

>> So, what do I need to get going?  A powerpc-elf (or should I use some
>> other target?) cross-compiler?
>
> You can use a cross-compiler to compile grubof.

I didn't manage to do so.  I'll research it a bit and probably send in
a patch.

~j