grub-devel

Re: Automagic command loading

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Automagic command loading
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:33:28 +0200

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 23:38, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:
> Disadvantage: current solution slowly reads the contens of directory.
> This is probably caused by opening files by /full/ path, where we
> principially have opened directory (and resolved path to it.).

I think this is a critical problem. For example, if the user has a
broken module which may crash GRUB, the user can easily break GRUB by
trying a non-existent command.

Also, if my understanding is correct, the list of modules is stored in a
binary form. This means that the user cannot (easily) modify the list
after building GRUB.

The advantage of autocmd.lst is that it makes customization much easier.
Suppose that the user wants to add a new command and build his own
module. Then, how to autoload this command?

Okuji