grub-devel

Re: menu enchancement

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: menu enchancement
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:24:22 +0000

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've implemented some important features in the menu interface. That is,
> timeout and booting. Please test it. It should be now possible to boot
> an OS from the menu interface.

I noticed (I love the commit-grub mailinglist :)).  I will test it on
both PC and PPC.

> However, there are still several missing features which can be found in
> GRUB Legacy:

[...]

> - Saving a boot entry

Was this possible on GRUB Legacy?  How does this work?

> - Coloring (this is useless, IMHO)

I agree.

> - Graphical interface

I hope the user interface will be modular some way.  Of course this
means I am willing to work on this.

> - Support for different geometries

[...]

> Probably support for different geometries is difficult, because the
> current code assumes that the screen is at least 80x25. If you want to
> support smaller one, you need to adjust the messages as well as the
> hardcoded coordinates.

This is something that is important to me.  The console on the
powerbook I have is a lot bigger than 80x25.  So this is on my
personal todo already.

> Next, I will work on editing a boot entry and password support.

Cool!

Thanks,
Marco