grub-devel

Re: JFS support (PATCH) and filesystem improvements

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: JFS support (PATCH) and filesystem improvements
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:49:58 +0000

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

>> To avoid code duplication I wrote kern/fshelp.c, which has the
>> following two functions:
>
> That is a good idea, but why are the functions in the kernel? Imagine
> that GRUB 2 supports TFTP and the user uses GRUB as a network-based
> loader. Probably the user does not have to compile the helper
> functions, because network-based filesystems are very different at the
> implementation level.

True.

> So I think they should be in a module rather than the kernel. fshelp.mod
> sounds good for me.

This is a good idea.  Is it possible to do this already?  How do I
make a filesystem depend on fshelp.mod?  I assume by using one of its
symbols.  Is the dependancy code in CVS already?

I will change this and make the changes suggested by Thomas before
committing this.  I have some ideas to make things more efficient for
some kinds of filesystems, I will implemented this as well.

Thanks,
Marco