grub-devel

Re: usability

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: usability
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:00:57 +0200

On Sunday 01 August 2004 00:59, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Please do.  I know very little about this subject and I think that is
> true for many people.  I am Dutch and for Dutch (and English) ASCII
> (or anything ASCII like) is enough.

Done.

> Ok.  You already implemented a very simple menu.  But when I choose
> an option, nothing happens.  It is easy to change it so it actually
> boots the option you have chosen.

Ah, I understand.

> > - Labelling entries
>
> What is a label used for?

I wrote this example in the previous mail:

default hurd-l4

title --label=hurd-l4 Hurd/L4
root=(hd0,0)

Or

title Hurd/L4
label hurd-l4
root=(hd0,0)

Labels should be able to be used in everywhere you can specify entry
numbers, such as default, savedefault and fallback. If this is
implemented, it could be much easier to modify config files
automatically by shell scripts.

> I think Thomas sent in a patch for this, right?  Could you please
> review it?  You have more knowledge about module loading.

I think his patch is only for commands. Autoloading filesystem modules
is not implemented, and I want to have commands in the normal mode to
load/unload modules with/without resolving dependencies automatically.

BTW, one problem in his patch is that autocmd.lst is maintained
manually. It is better to generate this file automatically at the
compilation time.

> This is a very good idea.  Can you set up a wiki?

Do you know any site which we can use freely (and permanently, if
possible) ?

I can set it up on my server, but I'm afraid that mine is too poor for
dynamic page rendering, because it is an OpenBrick. This may be a good
occasion to get an OpenBrick NG, but I have no money to buy a new
machine at the moment.

One way is to use a hosting service, such as BerliOS or SourceForge.
BerliOS might be a good option, because it has a builtin wiki
interface, while you must set it up manually on SourceForge. It is
unfortunate that Savannah does not have any way to set up a wiki site.

I will talk about this with Savannah hackers.

Okuji