grub-devel

Re: usability

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: usability
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:59:45 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> We need to discuss more on internationalization... I will post my idea
> about this later.

Please do.  I know very little about this subject and I think that is
true for many people.  I am Dutch and for Dutch (and English) ASCII
(or anything ASCII like) is enough.

So I don't know much about it, when it is used, etc.  But don't take
me wrong, I find this very important.

>> If selecting a menu item is not a noop anymore it can be used already
>> to boot.  I can implement this, if you want me to.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean here.

Ok.  You already implemented a very simple menu.  But when I choose an
option, nothing happens.  It is easy to change it so it actually boots
the option you have chosen.

I know you want to work more on this, but I think it is important to
have something that works in an early stage.  For the Pc and apple
versions we have almost everything that is required.

> BTW, if you have any new feature you want in GRUB 2, let me know. I'm
> thinking these extensions:

I think I told you my opinion in every case and I will continue to do
so.

> - Labelling entries

What is a label used for?

> - Tree interface
> I'm not sure about this feature.

I like it.  Currently on my development box I have a boot item called
"Network menu" (yeah, stupid name).  When I choose that it loads the
menu.lst from my tftp server.  In that menu.lst some GNU Mach, L4 and
toy kernels are listed.

> - User-definable shortcuts

Nice.

>> I can commit Thomas' patch for the chainloader.  I could do the other
>> two as well, if you don't want to.
>
> Please. :)

Ok.

> Not only. Currently, GRUB has no way to resolve dependencies
> automatically, so I want to implement this feature.

I think Thomas sent in a patch for this, right?  Could you please
review it?  You have more knowledge about module loading.

>> What would be useful is extending the TODO if you feel important
>> things are missing.  GRUB 2 is quite an active project (people
>> already know it and are willing to work on it) and chances are high
>> people want to work on things you put in the TODO.  Especially when
>> it is networking related, from what I have noticed people want to
>> work on it but don't really know what to do.
>
> I see. I will do that. But maybe we want to have Wiki? I think Wiki is
> very efficient to share some rough ideas, such as a TODO list. What do
> you think?

This is a very good idea.  Can you set up a wiki?

Thanks,
Marco