grub-devel

Re: PPC porting status

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: PPC porting status
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:22:28 +0200

Kolbjørn Barmen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Maurizio Boriani wrote:
>
>> 3) What's the global state of ppc port?
>
> Just curious, what is the aim of Grub on PPC? All PPC machines I know
> of have firmwares that allow multiboot already,
> exception being old pre-openfirmware macs which rely on booting macos
> anyways.

The problem with open firmware is that it does not support all
filesystems.  For example, you can not load your kernel from a ext2 or
jfs filesystem.

Another disadvantage is that the firmware does not have a nice boot
menu.

The most important reason for me to work on this port is because there
is a need for multiboot support.  I don't mean the multiboot you
talked about (multiple OS'es), but I mean the multiboot specification.
This is required for some OS'es to boot, GNU/Hurd for example.

--
Marco