grub-devel

Re: normal/cmdline bug & patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: normal/cmdline bug & patch
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:45:25 +0200

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 13:50, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:
> > > I also sugested that if we want users not confused by 2 versions
> > > of modules ve may add automatic loading of 'normal mode module
> > > variants' of each 'rescue mode module variant'. (e.g. _chain.mod
> > > is loaded, we load normal.mod and it automatically loads
> > > chain.mod, we then use insmod _linux.mod and normal.mod will also
> > > load linux.mod).
> >
> > Will this work in a hard-coded way or a flexible way, comparable to
> > module loading (and dependencies) on linux?
> >
> > I should catch up with my email and read the discussion...
> >
> > --
> > Marco
>
> This was not discussed. I prefer here (in this case) hardcoding. At
> normal mode entrance (rescue cmd normal) and normal mode insmod
> will be checked if module is named in special way.

My preferable way is to load modules implicitly when executing commands.
For example:

grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro

[Check if linux.mod is loaded currently]
  [If not, load it]
    [If failed, abort this command]
[Load the kernel]

This is possible in the same way as autoload in Emacs. For example, we
can have /boot/grub/autoload.lst which is a table of commands and
modules, like this:

chainload chainload.mod
linux linux.mod
initrd linux.mod