grub-devel

Re: RISC OS/ARM port

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: Re: RISC OS/ARM port
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:21:26 +0100

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 18:30, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Monday 31 May 2004 13:09, Timothy Baldwin wrote:
> > The filing system API is older (before 1982), and well documented,
> > and has been used by 1000's or more released programs, the newer (1st
> > version of RISC OS at about 1987, with later revsions) block device
> > API has been used by about 10 released programs. Any comparisons with
> > PC BIOSes are irrelevant.
>
> Where is the documentation on the API? Is it possible to get it online?

Sorry for the slow replay.

Official documention exists as PDFs on CD-ROM and out of print, slightly out
of date books as the RISC OS Programmer's Reference Manual. (PRM)

Third party documention covering most system calls (SWIs), but no overview, is
available online at:

> I'd like to look at it.

Unfortunately it is in non-standard format and the programs to convert to HTML
seem broken. However it a text based markup language in a continuous
allocation filesystem, so a text file viewer/editor which copes with illegal
characters should suffice.

For the block device (except CDs) interface lookup FileCore, for the FS
interface lookup FileSwitch, OS_File, OS_Find, OS_BPut, OS_BGet, OS_Args,
OS_GBPB and OS_FSControl.

I point out that R0 to R15 are CPU registers, and "pointer to FileCore
instance private word" should be "contents of word pointed to by FileCore
instance private word".

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, RESPECT, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
No to software patents!    No to DRM/EUCD - hands off our computers!