grub-devel

Re: Bug tracker

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Bug tracker
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:44:57 +0100

On Friday 19 March 2004 23:44, Marco Gerards wrote:
> It seems important to me to use a bugtracker.  We talked a bit about
> it on IRC, but IIRC there was no outcome (or I forgot).  I do not
> really care what bugtracker I have to use (I am familiar with the one
> on savannah, but I would prefer one with email support).

These are from my experience:

1. Once a bug tracker is chosen and used, it is not very easy to migrate
to another, because the database cannot be moved (AFAIK, no bug tracker
supports this feature), and the URL is recorded in many places, such as
an old manual.

2. A bug tracker with rich features looks nice, but it's very difficult
to maintain.

3. Integration of e-mail with a bug tracker is really problematic. The
main cause of this is that the behavior of MUA varies from MUA to MUA.

So I think the oldest method is the best: just having a file named BUGS.
If you want to refer to mails related to a bug, you can write a URL of
the list archive. If you use YAML <http://yaml.org/> as the format, it
would be easy to write a helper application for it.

What do you think?

Okuji