Re: Doubts about a typo fix

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Doubts about a typo fix
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:20:23 +0100

G. Branden Robinson wrote in
 <20221126035253.pli53qzgfx6tbax5@illithid>:
 |At 2022-11-25T18:18:46-0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
 |> If we did that, Groff would set a source string like "\*-\*-help" as
 |> "−−help", with two instances of U+2212 MINUS SIGN instead of U+002D
 |> HYPHEN-MINUS. Therefore people couldn't cut and paste code examples
 |> out of HTML or PDF, and into the shell.
 |
 |This hasn't been true for PDFs produced by groff for about 10
 |years.[1][2]  You can copy a U+2212 minus sign and it will paste as a
 |U+002D.

It would be great if groff would release adjustments to grotty so
that one could again use copy+paste also in manuals.  And now
please do not beat me onto that hyphen-minus for options, and that
one should do this or that, but it is for many other characters,
too.  If i look at bash manual for example, hyphen-minus is ok,
but caret is not ^ but U+02C6 MODIFIER LETTER CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT,
and i see U+2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK instead of
single-quotes.  That is cool and maybe milks the shit out of the
typographic capabilities of modern UTF-8 terminal emulators (i
think i quote you here, more or less), but i always have to use
"LC_ALL=C man XY" to enable copy+paste for myself.  But hey, it is
only me, i am not a prof at an University who is prowd of dozens
of Noble price winners and other such prices, many of them still
worth something aka based upon scientific grounds.

--steffen