Creating macro for inline placement of pdf images

From: hbezemer
Subject: Creating macro for inline placement of pdf images
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:30:41 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to place small pdf images (of short musical phrases) in my text
I can do so manually by inserting horizontal space at the spot where I want to
insert
the pdf and store the horizontal and vertical position of the spot and use that
place the pdf using:
\Z'\h'<horizontal position>'\v'<vertical position'\X' 'pdf: pdfpic <filename>
width height'
after I finish the sentence.
I have to tweak the actual positions to get the image exactly where I want but
it
kind of works.
But this is prone to errors (when I insert text before the spot, everything
moves)
and tedious.

I've tried to place the \Z'' command in the sentence but then it is hard to
place
the remaining part of the sentence on the exact height as the part before the
image.

What would be the best approach to create a macro which inserts a image inline?

I've added a sample file with a pdf and makefile.

Kind regards,

Hans