Specifying dependencies more clearly

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Specifying dependencies more clearly
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:26:21 +0100

Hi Branden!

I've always had trouble installing the correct dependencies for groff, since depending on what you compile you might need some more or some less dependencies, and there's not a clear list of what you need for what.

I suggest that you add a very schematic list similar to the one I added for the Linux man-pages project:

<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/INSTALL#n73>

BTW, I acknowledge, that this list in the man-pages is not complete, because part of it is split into another file:

<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/RELEASE#n14>

However, that's something I did on purpose, since distributing and installing from source are completely unrelated processes. I have considered merging them into INSTALL, though, and just point to that file from the RELEASE file. I'm not sure about this.

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>