Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device produces mysterious characters

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device produces mysterious characters
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:05:32 +0200

G. Branden Robinson wrote in
 <20220913053400.7lmdp2qpxb6zweei@illithid>:
 |At 2022-09-12T23:41:34+0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> This is not a hyphenated word.
 |[rearranging this a bit]
 |> En dash would look nice, i could imagine.
 |
 |Then use en dashes in your input.
 |
 |  on\[en]loop\[en]main\[en] tick

Please do not put my words out of context.
I was responsding to a term of yours, because i do _not_ want to
use \-BLA.  If i would like that, i would look what to do, your
suggestion looks good; mdoc has .Fl for flags.

  ..
 |>|2.  This is not a "1.23"-specific issue as your subject line[]
 |>|suggests.
 |>|
 |>|$ groff --version | head -n 1
 |>|GNU groff version 1.22.4
 |>
 |> Ok.. this i did not know.  Until last week i was solely using
 |> 1.22.3, even if the system has 1.22.4 (just not for me).
 |
 |I don't _think_ this was a change in groff 1.22.4, either, but it's not
 |easy for me to run groff 1.22.3 or earlier to experiment on them.

Well i ran it, and i never saw anything but hyphen-minus in
manuals.

 |> Really.  The above is just wrong, Branden.  Who said such?
 |
 |The consensus of this list was that it is better typography overall.

Then maybe you should ask typographic experts what to do, on
a list where such people can be asked?

Anyhow, and that is plain, whereas in German Bindestrich and
Ergänzungstrich may indeed look better in a typographical perfect
book, instead of hyphen-minus, and of course en dash that i used
in a different context, that is solely founded in the determining
factor that kerning and stretching etc is used to bring the
leading and the subsequent character(-cell) together.
In -Tutf8 this can never be true?

  | A-|   | B |

looks just terrible on a console, so the effect is the absolute
opposite to what was desired, which will not happen with
hyphen-minus

  | A | - | B |

But .. i see where this leads to..

 |However, many man pages are written in ignorance of the correct special
 |characters to obtain the desired glyphs.  You can conceal these errors

What are you talking about Branden?

 |by adding the following to your site-local man(7) configuration.  The

Who do you think will do this?  Do you support per-user
configuration files at least?  How many people do _know_ that they
can configure groff _there_?

No!

 |However, it turns out the above might not be squarely relevant to your
 |situation after all; if what you need are en dashes, then no version of

Yes.

 |> You cannot use HYPHEN for the above.

No.

Well i see that makes no sense.