1.23.0.rc1.2875-9c30-dirty: does not prefer its own same-version subprog

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: 1.23.0.rc1.2875-9c30-dirty: does not prefer its own same-version subprograms?
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 00:05:19 +0200

Hello.

Gratulations for maintainership, Branden Robinson!

I am in the process of porting mdocmx to groff 1.23.

(That is to say: automake issues, after gnulib issues, git gc
--aggressive is killed by that ChangeLog which is nothing but
a duplicate of git log but prepends at the top instead of
appending to the file, 13.7 GB RAM and > 30 minutes for GCing that
file alone, i think describes my problem.)

Letting aside that --with[out]-doc was blindly removed even though
i do not really think that so much changes to the involved
documents happened, which is a pity, since i have to fiddle around
until autoreconf / make succeed, sigh, ...  But i do not think
that is the cause for the problem below.

I see this:

  #?0|kent:src$ ll -l `command -v groff`
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108288 Mar 24  2019 /usr/bin/groff*

Groff of my Linux distro.

  #?0|kent:src$ ll -l `command -v s-roff.old`
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 steffen steffen 23 May 16  2019
/home/steffen/usr-kent-crux-linux-x86_64/bin/s-roff.old ->
../opt/.groff/bin/groff*

A version of 1.22.3 with my 2015 mdocmx patch.

  #?0|kent:src$ ll -l `command -v s-roff`
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 steffen steffen 27 Sep  3 23:20
/home/steffen/usr-kent-crux-linux-x86_64/bin/s-roff ->
../opt/groff-1.23/bin/groff*

1.23 RC1 with mdocmx "regulary" implemented (under contrib/ etc;
of course tmac/ mdoc(7) had to be patched in-line, but that
surprisingly took not even an hour and is "3 files changed, 153
insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)"), no more.

So this:

  #?0|kent:src$ groff -v
  GNU groff version 1.22.4
  GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the file
  named COPYING.

  called subprograms:

  GNU grops (groff) version 1.22.4
  GNU troff (groff) version 1.22.4

^ Finds its same-version programs.

  #?0|kent:src$ s-roff.old -v
  GNU groff version 1.22.3
  GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the file
  named COPYING.

  called subprograms:

  GNU grops (groff) version 1.22.3
  GNU troff (groff) version 1.22.3

^ Ditto.

  #?0|kent:src$ s-roff -v
  GNU groff version 1.23.0.rc1.2875-9c30-dirty
  GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the file
  named COPYING.

  called subprograms:

  GNU grops (groff) version 1.22.4
  GNU troff (groff) version 1.22.4

^ Finds the programs of the Linux distro's groff variant.
Ditto for tmac, somehow.  I just discovered it freshly.

Other than that i like your OSC 8 implementation, Branden!

With one problem, i wonder what could be done to give an empty
URL, ie only an id=ID.  for now i use the char #.  Somehow i have
not working it like so yet, but in the works!

Thanks for implementing OSC 8 in grotty!

--steffen