Re: SEE ALSO fails

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: SEE ALSO fails
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:59:24 -0400

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 04:42:24PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Subject: Re: SEE ALSO fails
>
> If the proposal is to remove See Also's that aren't installed, I
> could not be more against that idea.  That just makes the system
> harder to learn.
>
> If I'm way off base, my apologies, please correct me.

Thank you for being constructive about this debate: I don't think
you're off base; I should have suggested that instead of removing
the reference to the missing program, the reference should be
annotated to show that it's not installed. On debian systems,
"apt search x"  results are displayed with the the opposite logic
-- "installed" is added for the appropriate result. I've only
noticed this in the last few years on debian systems, but I'm
very glad it's there.

    -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best – and
therefore never scrutinize or question.
    -- Stephen Jay Gould, *Full House: The Spread of Excellence
    from Plato to Darwin*, 1996