Re: Plan 9 man added a new macro for man page references

From: Douglas McIlroy
Subject: Re: Plan 9 man added a new macro for man page references
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:14:31 -0400

Sweeps like Branden's, to check consistency, were part and  parcel of
editing v7-v10 manuals. He found one worth doing that apparently
hadn't occurred  to me. I'm glad the error rate was low.
.
I have always disliked boldface in synopses. That's an artifact of the
CAT phototypesetter, which had room for only one font family. After
the demise of  the CAT, I finally steeled myself to use a "literal
font" called L, aka CW, in v10. With the help of lots of sed scripts
and proofreading, font L took over in synopses, options, examples,and
elsewhere as appropriate. It's a pity that happened after the Cambrian
radiation, which left everybody using the obtrusive bold.

The font in See Also dates to the advent of the CAT. Curiously, the
contrast with other cross references never caught my attention.

Doug