Macros for printing envelopes?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Macros for printing envelopes?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 21:14:39 -0500

Hi all.

Reading through a few of the threads on Reddit what others are using
groff for got me to thinking that I have a use case that has to be
better than what I've been doing.  One practice I have adopted recently
is to print the address and return address directly to an envelope as I
will readily admit my handwriting is not all that readable.
Specifically I mostly use US sized #6 3/4 and #10 envelopes personally
and for an organization I am the treasurer for.

My first effort was to use Libre Office Writer and it works well to
print #6 3/4 envelopes but has a long standing bug that causes the
address blocks to be shifted downward on a #10 envelope to the point it
is not usable for the task.

I resorted to using a proprietary word processing program in a virtual
machine.  This works but is not ideal either for various reasons.

My thought turned to groff today and my Web searches came up empty with
only a couple of links to people talking about such macros, but no code.
So I ask, is there something I missed in the standard macro packages?
My searches there turned up nothing for envelopes.

As I see it, with groff I can easily create files for addresses I use
often and should be able to code a script that accepts those one-off
addresses.  Other than man pages, I'm a total novice to the rest of
groff and its macro packages.  I'd rather not reinvent a macro package
that someone else has gotten working and made available for the rest of
us.

TIA

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us