Re: Question about ?roff on Reddit

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: Question about ?roff on Reddit
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:49:12 -0500

* On 2021 15 Jul 12:44 -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2021-07-15T18:09:37+0200, Wim Stockman wrote:
> > Hi Peter, it is already a big bunch of comments. Branden replied with
> > a cool word count example in groff.
> >
> > :-)
>
> Much as I love high fives, I can't claim credit for that one.  First,
> OmenBreeze on Reddit appears to be John Gardner, whom we haven't seen on
> this list much very recently but who has certainly made some solid
> contributions, and also did that awesome device-independent troff
> renderer in JavaScript.

I followed his link to:

https://rawgit.com/Alhadis/Roff.js/web-demo/index.html

and that is very well done.

> Second, I don't even _have_ a Reddit account.

I probably shouldn't, but I limit my reddits to those that are amateur
radio or Linux related in some way.

> John's a sneaky devil.  I've never seen the .cw request used in anger
> before.  :D  I'd link directly to his comment but Reddit doesn't seem to
> let me, it just throws up the whole thread.  Maybe "deep linking"
> (:rolleyes:) is a privilege reserved to those who are logged in to the
> site.

Probably so.  Here should be the link to John's comment/example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ojkjm9/how_do_nrgroff_compare_with_more_modern_text/h58x3zb?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB