Re: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by defau

From: T . Kurt Bond
Subject: Re: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by default in groff?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:15:37 -0400

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 16:58:41 -0400,
Wim Stockman <wim.stockman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using the site-font directory so you don't need root access.

So, whether or not the site-font directory is owned by root, or even
exists, is inconsistent.  (This also makes it difficult to find
automatically for scripts.)

For instance, on my macbook the Apple installed version (1.19.2, alas)
the font directory is in /usr/share/groff/site-font like you would
expect and is owned by root.  In the version installed by the homebrew
package manager /usr/local/share/groff is a link to
/usr/local/Cellar/groff/1.222.4_1/share/groff and is owned by me.
(Homebrew doesn't use root access to install anything.)  I don't
remember what Macports, which I used to use, did, but expect it would
have been owned by root if it existed.  The version of groff I
installed from git has a writable site-fonts.  On my Pop!_OS 21.04 box
(an Ubuntu derivative) /usr/share/groff does not have a site-font, and
is owned by root.  The OpenBSD 6.8 box I have access to has a
/usr/local/share/groff/site-font directory that is owned by root.
None of the directories owned by root are writable by normal users.

(I'll have to see what my Fedora box when I get home this evening.)

Peter Schaffter's current install-font.sh defaults to looking in
/usr/local/share/groff for site-font, has an option, -s, to look in
/usr/share/groff, and has another option, -P, for specifying the
directory to look in.  (Note that is the directory to *look in* for
site-font, not the actual full path to site-font.)  It also has logic
for copying font files to one of the directories
/usr/local/share/fonts/{truetype,opentype,type1} depending on what
kind of font file the fonts are, and I don't think those directories
are completely standardized either.

Making install-fonts.sh put things in the right places, with or
without root privileges, may be one of the things that makes
incorporationg it into the groff distribution difficult.

--
T. Kurt Bond, tkurtbond@gmail.com, tkurtbond.github.io and tkb.tx0.org