Re: getting more out of man pages with less(1) (was: [bug #59962] soelim

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: getting more out of man pages with less(1) (was: [bug #59962] soelim(1) man page uses pic diagram--should it?)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 13:28:32 -0500

* On 2021 17 May 11:50 -0500, Dave Kemper wrote:
> Maybe less's build system has a switch to compile in a different
> default?  Maybe this is a recent change?  Maybe I'm completely wrong?
> I haven't looked at the source or built it myself from github; I'm
> going by the behavior on my systems, behavior I've observed on other
> systems, and the wording of the man page (which documents "-i" to
> invoke case-mostly-insensitive searches rather than an option to
> switch to case-sensitive ones).

It might be interesting to compare the Slackware build script to that of
Debian.  A few years ago I ran Slackware for a while and it defaulted to
using most for man pages and IIRC, Git output as well.  I know I spent
some time getting Slackware's less to work with Git but it was never as
satisfactory as Debian's less is for handling Git.

Just a small data point.

I do set quite a number of LESS_TERMCAP_* environment variables in my
~/.bashrc for man pages.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB