Re: problem with groff.texi: @ref{} in PDF and HTML fomats

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: problem with groff.texi: @ref{} in PDF and HTML fomats
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 03:16:52 +1000

[following up after nearly a year]

At 2020-05-27T23:37:29+1000, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> Please accept my apologies for the delay.  I kept wanting to produce a
> reduced version of the groff Texinfo manual

I've finally managed to do this; I've cut down the groff Texinfo manual from
over 18 thousand lines to about 130.  I'm attaching it and the PDF output.

Not knowing anything about Texinfo internals, and seeing what happens when I
comment these lines out, I suspect the problem lies with the following.

    @c This suppresses the word `Appendix' in the appendix headers.

    @tex
    \gdef\gobblefirst#1#2{#2}
    \gdef\putwordAppendix{\gobblefirst}
    @end tex

Evidently this technique is too crude.  Is there a better way to accomplish this
that will reliably work on all supported Texinfo output formats?