Re: Huge Filesize of PS file 12M

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Huge Filesize of PS file 12M
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 11:11:55 +0100 (CET)

> So thank you for the tip. I disabled the fonts in the /devps/download file
> and it went from 12MB to 92K so that is already a big step forward.
> Is there a better way to disable the embedding of fonts ?

Not that I'm aware of.

> Because I still see a lot of this :
> "
> grops begin/DEFS 1 dict def DEFS begin/u{.001 mul}bind def end/RES 72
> def/PL 841.89 def/LS false def/ENC0[/asciicircum/asciitilde/Scaron
> /Zcaron/scaron/zcaron/Ydieresis/trademark/quotesingle/Euro/.notdef
> /.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef
> /.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/.notdef
> /.notdef/.notdef/.notdef/space/exclam/quotedbl/numbersign/dollar/percent
> /ampersand/quoteright/parenleft/parenright/asterisk/plus/comma/hyphen
> "
> in the Postscript file.  Can I somehow remove them. I don't need all
> those special characters.

No, you can't.  Those arrays are encoding vectors necessary to access
those fonts in general, regardless whether they are embedded or not.

As I told you in the previous e-mail: You need to postprocess groff's
PS output to get something smaller since font subsetting is not
implemented.