Re: Allowing \N to accept hex numbers?

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: Allowing \N to accept hex numbers?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 03:17:34 +0000 (UTC)

 Thanks, Tadziu!

Indeed, it works splendidly with a modified copy of devps/ZD located in a local
font directory so the system devps/ZD is not affected.

--d
     On Monday, January 18, 2021, 03:58:46 PM EST, Tadziu Hoffmann
<hoffmann@usm.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Actually, thank you for independently confirming that there's
> no easy way to access the ZD code points using hex.

I think the simplest way to access the characters
using unicode would be to edit

  /usr/share/groff/current/font/devps/ZD

(or wherever your font description files are located)
and give all those unnamed characters groff names:

  u2701 974,621 3 33 a1
  u2702 961,611 3 34 a2
  u2703 974,621 3 35 a202
  (etc.)

then you can just say

  Hello \[u2701]\[u2702]\[u2703] world.

in your document without loading any macro file.