Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 01:23:17 +1100

At 2020-11-14T08:01:45-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
> I wonder if these warnings (introduced in commit 75c0873c), generated
> by "configure" on a system that doesn't have a uchardet library,
> overstate the case a little:

Maybe, but that dates back to 2017 so it was before the 1.22.4 release
in December 2018.  Presumably we'd have heard some louder squawks by now
if it made a lot of people anxious.

> I'd fix the first warning by removing the "preconv might not work
> properly" part altogether.  This one is generated at the time the
> library's absence is discovered; the consequences of this absence
> should be saved for the later, more visible, more verbose warning.
> (As trivial side effects, this also eliminates the comma splice and
> keeps the message under 80 columns.)
>
> The second could be recast to say:
>
>   uchardet library was not found; preprocessor 'preconv' will skip
>   this method of attempting to determine the input encoding.  (To
>   check how and in what order 'preconv' tries to determine the
>   encoding, see its man page.)
>
> In addition to being more precise about the effect, I've also edited
> "input file encoding" down to simply "input encoding" (since preconv's
> input needn't be from a file) and shortened the lines to be under 80
> columns.  Further refinements welcome.

I think these are good fixes.  And the preconv man page has certainly
been improved, in my self-serving opinion, to make it clear what one
gives up when uchardet is missing.

Makez-vous le patch und bug-filen Sie?