Re: Groff bug: echo foo | groff -Pbar

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Groff bug: echo foo | groff -Pbar
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 00:30:53 +1000

At 2020-09-29T07:08:20+1000, John Gardner wrote:

> > echo foo  |  troff >&-
>
> Erh, yeah, that's… probably gonna cause issues...
>
> I get the same error you reported earlier, but why on Earth are you
> closing the file descriptor?

He wasn't.  groff was.

I ran groff under gdb, set some break points, and single-stepped it.
When I saw the line `delete the_output;' cause a SEGV after already
having been executed once deduced that the `real_output_file` destructor
was getting called recursively.

The precise details have already rinsed out of my brain; I should
probably have saved my gdb session and attached it to the bug.

The column class destructor also calls `delete the_output`; perhaps it
should be similarly guarded.