Re: manlint?

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: manlint?
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 12:10:18 -0400

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 11:53:44AM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Subject: Re: manlint?
>
> Eric Raymond has been working on a program called doclifter to turn man
> pages into DocBook.  A daft idea, and one which the slow death of XML
> and DocBook should ensure never gains traction.  :-)

Hi Ralph,

I don't know which part of your statement you're joking about --
I assume the reference to Docbook, which might indeed capsize
like an overweight freighter, but XML is such a simple and robust
form of structuring documents that it's going to outlast us all.
And on account of that anything coded in Docbook is salvageable
by all future generations of archeologists, although I'm glad I
won't be around to help them out.

I'm definitely going to continue to use simple XML to store
anything I want the future to see.

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
I have always felt the necessity to verify what to many seemed a
simple multiplication table.
        -- Ilya Ehrenburg (Soviet author and critic; he's not
           talking about mathematics)