Re: [Heirloom] Using the Symbola font in Heirloom troff

From: T. Kurt Bond
Subject: Re: [Heirloom] Using the Symbola font in Heirloom troff
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 01:30:16 -0400

Looking at the postscript output there is a "/uni1F0A1 9429 def" and a
"/uni1F10A" in a "/Encoding-@15@36 [...] def"; is that part of the font
machinery?  (I'm sadly ignorant of PostScript, alas.)

Looking at troff/troff.d/otf.c
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L1481>
I see that there is a struct WGL
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L845>
that
contains female
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L1481>
and male
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L1482>
entries.  At the beginning of the struct is a comment
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L848>
that
consists of "/* WGL4 */".  Googling that led to Windows Glyph List 4
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Glyph_List_4>.  Taking a leap, I
added the unicode characters FEMALE SIGN and MALE SIGN to my test
document.  Those show up fine in the final PDF output.  Maybe this is
connected?  At this point I suspect without much evidence
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L1502>
that characters that are not in the StandardStrings
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L186>
array, the MacintoshStrings
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L582>
array, or the WGL
<https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools/blob/f3a16e2ba0c411441fd5de5340be73674bd51307/troff/troff.d/otf.c#L848>
array don't get output.  Maybe.  I'll have to investigate some more.