Re: eqn sqrt and pdf?

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: Re: eqn sqrt and pdf?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 18:00:41 +0100

hello,

> What distro and version is this, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04.  Is groff from that
> distro, or something you've built?

by experience, sticking on debian stable is the best way to avoid
problems on linux so:

    . /etc/os-release && echo $PRETTY_NAME

        Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

    which groff                  |
    xargs dpkg -S                |
    cut -d: -f1                  |
    xargs dpkg -p                |
    grep -E '^(Package|Version):'

        Package: groff-base
        Version: 1.22.2-8

> Note, the Symbol font doesn't have to come from a file called symbol.ttf

i got it as the first fc-match gave me

    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/opens___.ttf

but i hoped it would "work better" with the "original one".

it actually don't :)

> AIUI so locate(1) might be missing some.

> You could try
>     fc-match -af '%{file}\n' Symbol | sed 8q

indeed .. i haven't realize i have so many fonts on my system.

    fc-match -af '%{file}\n' Symbol|
    grep '\.ttf$'                  |
    wc -l
        489

> Have a look at my recent email on this thread and you'll see I poke
> about /usr/share/groff/1.*/font/devpdf.

    grep -wFf <(
        printf '%s\n' .EQ 'sqrt a over sqrt c' .EN |
        groff -Tpdf -eZ  |
        sed -n 's/^C//p' |
        sort             |
        uniq
    ) /usr/share/groff/1.22.4/font/devpdf/S
        radicalex       500,917,0,590   3       96      radicalex
        sqrt    549,917,38      3       214     radical

> Examine the files `S',
> especially the comments at its start, `download', and `FONT
> INSTALLATION' in gropdf(1).  Consider if re-installing package groff
> would have it examine what Symbol font is availble again.

reading your email, i tried:

    troff -Tpdf <<<'\(ra' | gropdf -e | pdffonts -
        Failed to open
'/usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource/Font/StandardSymbolsPS'
        Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
        Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
        Syntax Error: Couldn't read xref table

and

    locate -bei StandardSymbolsPS
        /usr/share/ghostscript/9.27/Resource/Font/StandardSymbolsPS

you fixed this by seding the download file which doesn't exist in the
debian distro. i can't purge groff as it will uninstall a lot packages so what i
did is

    dpkg-reconfigure -plow groff
    apt reinstall groff

so i worked around:

    sudo ln -s /usr/share/ghostscript/9.2{7,6}

and now i got

    troff -Tpdf <<<'\(ra' | gropdf -e | pdffonts -
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub
uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- ---
--- ---------
Symbol                               Type 1            Custom           yes no
no       5  0

and now the rendering is now ok. Thanks a lot!

Now i feel this is worth filing 2 bugs on the debian tracker:

* /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/opens___.ttf doesn't render some symbols
properly
* troff should use the current version of ghostscript

if it's correct, i can fill those bugs and mentionning this thread.

thank you very much!
marc