Re: [groff] Unicode fonts output

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [groff] Unicode fonts output
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:54:25 -0700

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 12:33 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote
> How do I create U- fonts?

The URW++ fonts (i.e., U-*) should be installed when you build Groff.  One
would hope that your Gnu/Linux distro vendor would include them, but that's
not guaranteed.  Worse, URW++ changed the names of their files a while
back, and not all the distro vendors have caught up.  If the U-* fonts
won't install when you build Groff, you'll need to install new fonts
manually.  I suggest using the "install-font" script that is included with
MOM.  I used that to install the TeX Gyre fonts, which I am quite happy
with.  The TeX Gyre fonts are a replacement for the 35 URW++ PostScript
fonts, and work quite nicely.  (And before you ask, they do have "Č".  :-)
)  Installing the fonts is not difficult, but it is a bit time consuming.
Oh, and I strongly suggest installing them into the site-fonts directory:

    /usr/local/share/groff/site-font/

This way you won't lose your fonts when you upgrade Groff.

> Do I need to use devpdf/util/BuildFoundries somehow?

I believe that BuildFoundries is for the internal use of the font
installation part of the Groff installation system.

> Is there example how to use it?

Not that I've ever seen.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

--
--dds

"And finally, _thinking_ is an exercise to which all too few brains are
accustomed."  --E.E. "Doc" Smith, _First Lensman_