Re: [groff] 1976 version of CSTR #54 (Nroff/Troff User's Manual by Ossan

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] 1976 version of CSTR #54 (Nroff/Troff User's Manual by Ossanna)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 07:42:14 +1000

> *It has its own private implementation of the mm macros and groff gets**pretty
> unhappy when the trap macros start mutually calling each other.*

You should typeset them with the original Osanna troff(1), and see how they
look. ;-)

If you don't have an antique C/A/T/ on-hand, or know any museum owners with
one that works, you can use this utility
<https://github.com/Alhadis/Roff.js/blob/9f4c65cd8efe081bd3888e19817b25889f9b2bb5/bin/cat2dit>
to convert the output of ancient (pre-dit) troff into Groff's intermediate
output:

$ troff -man ./m0a > out.cat
$ cat2dit -Tps < out.cat | grops > out.ps

Still has some rough edges I haven't smoothed out yet. Namely, I need to
implement manual page-breaking because the C/A/T/ didn't have an
instruction for "start new page". :-( It just keeps moving downwards until
it begins printing the next page.

I assume the C/A/T was fed a continuous reel of paper or something that was
cut into separate pages by hand afterwards...

I've attached a PDF of Unix v7's man page for troff(1), typeset by the same
program it's documenting, then converted and upscaled by cat2dit(1) before
being piped to grops(1).