Re: [groff] Groff and poor font rendering

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [groff] Groff and poor font rendering
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:48:26 -0400

Kevin --

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019, Kevin Moses wrote:
> I seem to have no problem printing clear readable fonts with
> my printer when the PDF file is generated by, for example, an
> ebay shipping label.  However, any pdf file that I create with
> say, pdfmom -P-e example.mom > new.pdf results in a decent page,
> but still clearly pixelated, and certainly not as sharp as more
> conventional google doc files, etc.

Does the pixelation show up in your pdf viewer, when you print out
a copy, or both?  Bad rendering at the screen could be a sign of a
misconfigured viewer.  Try several viewers and see if the problem
persists in all of them.

I'm unfamiliar with Void Linux.  Can you possibly test with another
distro?  If I understand correctly, Void is "from scratch."  Its
font handling may well be the source of your problem.

If you haven't got access to another distro, could you attach a
small source file and its pdf along with the command line you used
to build it?

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca