Re: [groff] devutf8 on Windows

From: Jeff Conrad
Subject: Re: [groff] devutf8 on Windows
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:44:07 +0000

Monday, February 25, 2019 2:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Running something like
> >
> >     groff -Tutf8 <file>
> >
> > rather than something like
> >
> >     groff -Tutf8 <file> | more
> >
> > or
> >
> >     groff -Tutf8 <file> > <outfile>
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Yes, I tried all of the above.  The last method ends up with correct UTF-8
> sequences, all the others yield mojibake.

Since method 2 works for me, I guess I’m having better luck than you—I
suppose I should count my blessings :-).  Especially since method 2 is
the one I would most often use.

> Groff, of course, writes the same bytes in all mrthods.

As is does for me, confirmed by ‘od -h’.

The question, then, is why grotty is behaving differently than my simple
C program, which—as nearly as I can tell—is doing the same thing when
outputting characters.  Win 10 vs.  Win 7?  Compiler?  Or perhaps I
missed something important elsewhere in the code for tty.cpp.

Anyway, stuff like this should make it clear why someone running Windows
would do something as silly as create a devcp1252.

Jeff