[groff] devutf8 on Windows

From: Jeff Conrad
Subject: [groff] devutf8 on Windows
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 01:04:22 +0000

I’m getting strange behavior with devutf8 on Windows.

>type quot.txt
.pl 1
\(oqquote\(cq minus: \(mi /f/: /\(f/

With the code page set to 65001 (UTF-8), from cmd,

>groff -Tutf8 quot.txt
‘quote’ minus: − /f/: /⁄

The output looks as if it’s being interpreted as code page 1252. If the
output is redirected, things look fine, e.g.,

>groff -Tutf8 quot.txt | more.com
‘quote’ minus: − /f/: /⁄

or just

>groff -Tutf8 quot.txt >CON,
‘quote’ minus: − /f/: /⁄

the output is fine.

I get the same results with the MKS Korn shell.  If the code page is set
to 1252 rather than 65001, results are as expected—rendered as code
page 1252.

If I put tty.cpp’s put_char() in a simple program (compiled with
Visual Studio 2015) and feed it Unicode values, the output is what I
expect—properly rendered UTF-8.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

This arguably isn’t fatal, because practically, I’m going to send the
output to a file or run it through a pager.  But there is always the
thought: since this isn’t quite right, what else may go wrong?

I’m running the ezwinports Win32 binary 1.22.3 (the 1.22.4 grotty binary
does the same thing).

Jeff Conrad