Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:58:05 +0000

Hi Tadziu,

> > ISO 646 removed the ambiguity by assigning the neutral apostrophe to
> > 27h and the grave accent to 60h, but strictly, it isn't "ASCII."
>
> So why don't we leave the ascii device as it is and create a new
> iso646 device with the proposed changes?

Are you suggesting that iso646 becomes the new `C locale' device to fit
that?  If the only difference is s/`/'/ then it's very like the
configuration option I think Mike suggested that Ingo was against.

This all seems like too much discussion for something that troubles few
users and some of them only when they're on a foreign machine that
doesn't automatically give them the UTF-8 rendering they prefer and are
used to in their normal environment.

--
Cheers, Ralph.