[groff] Loss of MSVC support

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [groff] Loss of MSVC support
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 16:32:00 -0500 (EST)

Having further examined the groff sources, I see that there is one
thing the POSIX/C99 cleanup would have to drop: MS Visual C support.

I doubt this is actually much of a problem. There has been no work on
that support since 2005, 12 years ago.  Since then, MINGW and the
DeLorie compiler have offered generally satisfactory support for
programs in groff's class. Indeed, Microsoft itself has much improved
its support for the POSIX API and now has a stdlib.h header.

Stiil, the cleanup will cause some inconvenience and possibly require
minor re-porting work if anyone is actually relying on the Winows
port.  I thought I should point this out and leave time for objections
to be raised before pulling the trigger.

  "...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
[...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.]
        -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),