[groff] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: [groff] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 10:30:24 -0500

>  "Stamp out US-specific, internationally non-portable usage of ASCII
>   that is incompatible with Unicode, ..."
> Is that something we can agree on?

I don't agree because it cannot be done.  Documentation, still valuable today,
was written with "US-specific, internationally non-portable usage of ASCII"
and must be understood in that context.  It is the very nature of history.

Otherwise we burn the books and rewrite them "as they should have been written
if we knew then what we know today".

Again I make the case for producing a way to tie the specific font and
character-code-to-glyph-graphic map to a document so it can be reproduced as
the author intended.

Said another way "modernise" groff to add that capability and make UTF-8 the
modern character-code-to-glyph-graphic map.

(Is anyone working on a UTF-8 keyboard?
We have the technology.

www.nkkswitches.com/nkk-smartswitch-lcd-36-x-24-pushbutton-display-enhanced-accommodate-low-voltage/
Certainly an extension keypad of programmable glyph keys would be doable!)

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 973 822-2085