[groff] UTF8 characters to pdf

From: jonathan ahumada
Subject: [groff] UTF8 characters to pdf
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 05:05:25 +0000

Hi,

I’m trying to get into groff  with the hopes that I could print my own literary
drafts. However, I write in spanish and have had problems with accented
characters such as (á, é, ó , etc). I have been searching and apparently groff
doesn’t support utf-8, which is the format my files are written in. I have seen
some people use a `preconv`command or a `-k` flag to convert their files for
utf-8 into latin1 within the groff command. But the build I have on my Mac
computer doesn’t seem to have this (version 1.19.2).

I would like to know what course of action should I pursue. I am a beginner
into programming and the groff system seems fairly intimidating to me.  I know
you can use escape sequences in order to tell the troff formatter to use
certain characters, but modifying my files with a sort of tailored script to
replace all my accents seems burdensome.

Many thanks,