Re: [groff] Rate this hack on a scale of 0 to stupid

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] Rate this hack on a scale of 0 to stupid
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:56:01 +0100

Hi John,

John Gardner wrote on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 09:21:57PM +1100:

>> But this gives you only one directory whereever an.tmac or tmac.an
>> is located.

> Yes, I only need the top-most directory containing the tmac files.
> Its contents will be recursively scanned, following symlinks (carefully)
> when necessary. It's still hit-and-miss, but it should cover the most
> important macros (the core packages, and the ones shipped with Groff
> which contain PDF-specific features, used by the <canvas> renderer).

Not even that is certain.

For example, in 4.4BSD you had core macro packages scattered as follows:

  /usr/contrib/mh-6.8/lib/tmac.h
  /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.m
  /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s
  /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.an
  /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.an6n
  /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.an6t
  /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.bib
  /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.s
  /usr/share/tmac/man.local
  /usr/share/tmac/mm/ms.cov
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.doc
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.e
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.groff_an
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.groff_me
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.m
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.mse
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.r
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.s
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.tty
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.tty-char
  /usr/share/tmac/tmac.vgrind
  /usr/share/tmac/troffrc
  /usr/src/usr.bin/pascal/USD.doc/tmac.p

This may not be entirely accurate in every detail because it results
from inspection of Makefiles, but you get the idea of scattering...

Note in particular that tmac.an and tmac.doc are in different
directories, tmac.m and tmac.s exist in yet another place,
and some stuff like tmac.h and tmac.p is totally out in the woods.

Yours,
  Ingo