Re: [groff] 03/04: doc/groff.texi: Drop most "man" documentation.

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] 03/04: doc/groff.texi: Drop most "man" documentation.
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 12:04:41 +0100

Hi Branden,

G. Branden Robinson wrote on Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 07:16:16PM -0500:

> I want to emphasize that the wording you're critiquing is not my own
> invention.
>
> Here's the diff in question:
>
> -This is the most popular and probably the most important macro package
> -of @code{groff}.  It is easy to use, and a vast majority of manual pages
> -are based on it.
> +The @code{man} macro package is the most widely-used and probably the
> +most important ever developed for @code{troff}.  It is easy to use, and
> +a vast majority of manual pages (``man pages'') are written in it.
> +
> address@hidden's implementation is documented in the @cite{groff_man(7)}
> +man page.  Type @command{man groff_man} at the command line to view it.

Oops.  I have no idea how i could overlook that the text was already
there.

When this sentence was written two decades ago, it was still closer
to the truth because even though the potential for what i said already
existed, most of it hadn't been made available for practical use yet,
back then.

> I take it your intention was not to accuse me of puffery.  :)
> As can be seen, my changes are not promotional in bent.

Sorry for causing a misleading impression.

Yours,
  Ingo