Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 01:13:54 +0000

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 01:00:59AM +0100, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> To all the developers: please hold on your commits now, this release is
> for final sanity checks, only critical fixes should be commited from
> now.

I pushed a couple of corrections to error paths in the new
contrib/mom/examples/test-mom.sh.in script.  Not perhaps quite critical,
but since it was only added a week ago and the changes can only possibly
affect "make check" runs that are already about to fail, it seemed
reasonable.

Incidentally, the reason I ran into this was because I was building with
pdfinfo et al installed (having noticed that recent configure.ac change)
but didn't have URW fonts installed, and hadn't noticed the configure
warning.  Now, since this meant that my builds weren't generating the
U-* fonts, it's good that this caused me to notice and fix it.  However,
the reported symptom was as follows:

  Checking number of pages of
/build/groff-9tRn1u/groff-1.22.4~rc4/debian/build/contrib/mom/examples/typesetting.pdf
    Error: expected 3 pages, found 2 pages

This was a pretty opaque symptom, and it took me a little while to find
the real cause.  Should this be reported more clearly, perhaps by having
this test exit 77 (which would cause Automake to produce a SKIP result)
if configure didn't find any URW fonts?  At the moment we have a
supported configuration (configure explicitly tests for URW fonts but
chooses only to issue a warning if they're absent, presumably because
you can use most of groff without them) which then causes the test suite
to fail, which doesn't seem ideal.

Thanks,