Re: [groff] 01/04: grn(1): Make options discussion a section.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [groff] 01/04: grn(1): Make options discussion a section.
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 07:45:47 +0100 (CET)

>> Also consistently double-quote multi-word arguments to the .SH
>> macro, for consistency with the rest of the page and (most) other
>> groff man pages.
>
> That's both useless and harmless - in a word, cargo cult.

I disagree.  Just imagine that you have a title with more than nine
words: To be able to display it correctly on old non-groff systems you
*must* use double quotes.  For this reason I recommend to always use
double quotes, which will never cause a problem.

In other words, I prefer to have users apply a recipe that will always
work.  Telling them `Always quote a multi-word title' is IMHO easier
to remember than saying `Use quotes if you have more than nine words
in a title'.

Perhaps a future release of groff can completely drop compatibility to
old non-groff systems, but I guess this won't happen in the
forthcoming version.