Re: [groff] Inexplicable error using tbl(1) 1.19.2 on macOS

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] Inexplicable error using tbl(1) 1.19.2 on macOS
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 01:24:37 +0200

Hi John,

John Gardner wrote on Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 07:53:35AM +1000:

> Sigh, yes, that'll teach me for not being clear...
>
> The markup I posted which generated that error was *reduced* from
> previously valid markup (and the error messages remained the same).

I doubt that they remained *exactly* the same, and i suspect that
the minor way i which the original message was different contains
useful information (in particular, the line number).

Can you post

 - the exact standard error output from
    $ tbl < textmate.5 > tmp.txt
 - the output from
    $ tail tmp.txt
 - the output from
    $ tbl -v

> (I was selectively removing one line at a time to see
> if it would make a difference, which... it didn't...)

Sure, but when preparing a minimal test case that way, you should
only remove stuff in a way that your input remains valid...
Right now, we only have an *expected* error message from invalid
input, but we are in doubt about what exactly happens with valid
input.

Yours,
  Ingo