Re: [groff] Groff & tbl as a report generator

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [groff] Groff & tbl as a report generator
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:10:20 -0400

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 09:47:49AM +1000, Robert Thorsby wrote:
>       :
> Using shell scripts heavily reliant on awk which are then piped through
> groff ...

Since the dawn of troff, the idea of _computing_ good-looking documents has
been a major strength.  The tbl/pic/eqn/... style of tools amplified the
utility of such.  Those of us who see the words/data of a document as more
important than the appearance quickly realized the value of separating the
those two concerns.

The prevalence of What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get documentation ("...  Is All You
Get": Brian Kernighan) has hidden the possibilities from the popular mind.

It is good to see the idea of computing documents being rediscovered.

--
 Mike Bianchi