Re: [groff] mark/lineup in eqn

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [groff] mark/lineup in eqn
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 22:38:06 -0400

Ingo,

Interestingly your comment is the first I have
received that is not of the form "you can jigger
this or that to get the desired effect". And indeed
I had over the  years  used every one of those tricks plus
one more: assemble the parts with tbl rather than
with an eqn matrix. I thought all of them were more
like hand-setting type than recording math.

However, I suspect the real reason that mark/lineup doesn't work
within a pile is that it wasn't considered. I see no
fundamental difference  between aligning on a mark and
aligning on any other point such as the center or
the right end. The only added complexity I see is that
one must keep track of two lengths rather that just
one within each line.

Doug