Re: [groff] PSPIC vs PDFPIC: adjust documentation to reality, or the rev

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [groff] PSPIC vs PDFPIC: adjust documentation to reality, or the reverse?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:31:55 +0100

On Tue 10 Apr 2018 19:26:57 Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > I don't have a specific name suggestion, and I'm aware that
> > this is a bikeshed, but can I suggest a more explicit variable
> > name?  Otherwise the next time some old behaviour needs to be
> > switchably deprecated we're in for some confusion.
>
> Maybe a descriptive name, for example PDFPIC_NOSPACE?
> Or, if this is versioned, PDFPIC_LEGACY_<version>?

Thanks Tadziu, this makes sense, I'll use PDFPIC_NOSPACE for the groff
variable and GROFF_PDFPIC_NOSPACE for the environment variable. The reason I
want to include an environment variable is if we are changing the behaviour,
there is at least a possibility a user has already many documents which have
circumvented the bug in some way, I want to give the least work for them,
adding one line to bash.profile is the minimal I could think of, and as PDFPIC
already requires it to be run in "unsafe" mode the code to check an
environment variable is fairly straight forward.

Cheers

Deri